SPI’s Terrell office has moved into a new location at 200 S. Virginia Street, the old Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot. The new office location, which is a Texas Historic Landmark, has an exciting history as a functioning depot from 1911 to 1977, which was fundamental to the City of Terrell’s growth.
According to the Texas Historical Commission, the town of Terrell was founded in 1873 located along the route of the Texas & Pacific Railroad. Robert A. Terrell, for whom the town was named, was a surveyor and landowner in Kaufman County. The first depot was completed in June of 1873 and this building, the freight depot, was constructed in 1911 “in an era of infrastructure expansion of the national rail system.”
The historical marker affixed to the building describes it as “utilitarian” and “retains most of its original features”. The marker goes on to say, “Once an integral part of the region’s economy, this depot was closed in 1977. It remains a significant element of the town’s railroad past.”
SPI opened the Terrell branch in 2014 with just one full-time employee. Currently, the office is staffed by four full-time and one part-time employees in the new office.